Info and Intro
They formed in New York city in 1984 and after signing to Epic Records in 1987 they released their first album, Vivid, in 1988. Over their career they've also taken influences from guitar driven Rock as well as Hardcore Punk and Heavy Metal, and added some inspiration from traditional African-American music such as Jazz.
They are best remembered for the hit Cult of Personality, which won a Grammy Award for best hard rock performance in 1989. They were also named Best New Artist at the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards. The singer, Corey Glover, had a role in the movie ‘Platoon’, directed by Oliver Stone.
The first two albums bassist Muzz Skillings contributed to the music, before leaving in 1992 due to creative differences. They were inactive from 1995-2000, and since their return have operated as a regular touring band, and got back to releasing new albums, including "Collide0Scope", a one compilation of b-sides & rarities, and one live album from their early performances at the now sadly missed CBGB’s.
The band members have all released solo albums and done session work, "Doug Wimbish" and "Will Calhoun" also are in both in a Jungle Funk outfit, "Corey Glover" is doing musical theatre, "Vernon Reid" has several projects, and "Wimbish" has various projects related to his other longstanding collaborators Adrian Sherwood, "Keith Leblanc", and "Skip McDonald".
1) Vivid (1988)
2) Time's Up (1990)
3) Stain (1993)
4) Collideøscope (2003)
5) The Chair in the Doorway (2009)
6) Shade (2017)
Members Name Check
- Vernon Reid – lead guitar, guitar synthesizer, backing vocals (1984–1995, 2000–present); lead vocals (1984–1985)
- Corey Glover – lead vocals, occasional rhythm guitar, occasional tambourine (1985–1995, 2000–present)
- Will Calhoun – drums, percussion, keyboards, samples, loops, backing vocals (1986–1995, 2000–present)
- Doug Wimbish – bass, guitar, drums, programming, backing vocals (1992–1995, 2000–present)
- Muzz Skillings – bass, backing vocals (1986–1992)
- Alex Mosely – bass
- Jerome Harris – bass
- Carl James – bass
- Greg Carter – drums, percussion
- Pheeroan Aklaff – drums, percussion
- J.T. Lewis – drums, percussion
- Geri Allen – keyboards
- D.K. Dyson – lead vocals
- Mark Ledford – lead vocals