Nine Inch Nails
Trent early days
Nine Inch Nails formed in Cleveland, Ohio, United States in 1988, with the driving force being "Trent Reznor", as well as the only constant member of the band. Trent is credited with bringing Industrial to public attention, although this genre was well established before the work of "Trent", for example, Ministry
Reznor took up piano at the age of five and then, in high school started on the tuba and the saxophone.
During the early to mid 80s Trent played with various Synthpop and New Wave groups, before startingon his own solo project. Prior to this, he was involved with a band called "Exotic Birds", and as a spin off of this he appeared in the "Michael J. Fox" & "Joan Jett" movie "Light of Day".
Nine Inch Nails has issued a number of albums, most of then are listed below;-
1) Pretty Hate Machine (1989)
2) Broken EP (1992)
3) Fixed (1992)
4) The Downward Spiral (1994)
5) Further Down the Spiral (1995)
6) The Fragile (1999)
7) Things Falling Apart (2000)
8) And All That Could Have Been (2002)
8) With Teeth (2005)
10) Year Zero (2007)
11) Ghosts I-IV (2008)
12) The Slip (2008)
13) Hesitation Marks (2013)
In 2002, the live album entitled "And All That Could Have Been" was released on DVD & CD, the Deluxe release of the CD included a mini album called Still. “Still” included a number of previously released songs remixed into a stripped down and almost acoustic format.
This was their second live release, the first was the video "Closure Documentary"
When Ghosts I-IV was released on March 2, 2008. It contains 36 instrumental tracks and was recorded in ten weeks of fall 2007. Initially intended to be a five-track EP, the album is presented in the form of four nine-track EPs. The tracks do not have names, and are only identified by their track listing and position on the EPs. Ghosts I-IV also adds to the recent experimentation with digital distribution; the album is available in many different ways, including a digital download, for purchase or (partially) free, a CD set, and a deluxe edition set.
The eighth album called “The Slip” was officially released on May 5, 2008. The whole album can be downloaded for free from this website:- Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
Nine Inch Nails has also produced a number of EP’s, remixes, and provided contributions to various movie soundtracks, these soundtracks include;-
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider,
- The Crow,
- Natural Born Killers,
- Lost Highway,
- The Bullet Man,
Trent also created the soundtrack for the computer game "Quake", this was largely Ambient in style.
Nine Inch Nails as a live band is generally understood to be a separate entity from NIN as a studio-band.
From time to time, previous band members are invited to perform, even when not directly involved in the bands current recording schedule.
The bands' lineups have changed a lot between major tours, and apart from Trent Reznor remaining the lead vocalist, nothing else about the live band has remained constant since its start.
Reznor cited the long gestation period between studio albums as part of the reason for these frequent personnel changes.
Beginning in late 2005, the live band featured Aaron North on guitar, Jeordie White on bass guitar, Alessandro Cortini on keyboards, and Josh Freese on drums, though all occasionally performed with different instruments. This lineup toured Europe, Asia, Australia, and America through 2007. Trent Reznor reported that he would disband the “rock band configuration” of his touring lineup after their concert in Honolulu, Hawaii on September 18, 2007.
Despite this claim the Rock group lineup has returned from time to time.
Past live band members
- Ron Musarra: Drums, Samplers
- Chris Vrenna: Keyboards, Samplers, Drums
- Richard Patrick: Guitar
- Jeff Ward: Drums
- David Haymes: Keyboards
- Nick Rushe: Keyboards
- Lee Mars: Keyboards
- James Woolley: Keyboards
- Robin Finck: Guitar, Synthesizer
- Danny Lohner: Bass, Guitar, Synthesizer
- Charlie Clouser: Synthesizer, Drums on 5 songs during the Dissonance side of David Bowie’s Outside tour, Theremin
- Sean Beavan: Soundboard, Backing vocals on 5 songs
- Jerome Dillon: Drums
- Alex Carapetis: Drums
- Ilan Rubin: Drums
- Trent Reznor has worked with several big names in musical collaboration outside of NIN in recent years, including;-
- "David Bowie"
- "Maynard James Keenan" of "Tool"
- "Zach De La Rocha" of "Rage Against the Machine"
- "Peter Murphy" of "Bauhaus"
- "Josh Wink"
- "Ice Cube"
- "Dr. Dre"
- slam poet "Saul Williams"
- Hip Hop star "Puff Daddy"
- "Peter Gabriel"
- "Henry Rollins"
- Hip Hop producer "El-P"
- "Queens of the Stone Age"
- NIN along with Marilyn Manson, "Maynard James Keenan" of Tool, "Phil Anselmo" of Pantera and other artists worked together to produce the project "Tapeworm", a side project that existed from the mid-1990s through to 2004.
Josh Freese & Jeordie White also became involved with the now legendary Desert Sessions).
- Contrary to popular belief, Suck is technically a cover and not an original. The song was originally performed by the band Pigface in 1991, this was a band that Trent also worked with.
- Trent is given vocal and writing credits and the song was later re-recorded for the Broken EP (1992) as a hidden track .
- Legendary country star Johnny Cash covered "Hurt" on the album The Man Comes Around.
- NIN's most famoust track "Closer" is known for borrowing the sample for the drum line from a David Bowie track, David Bowie also returned the compliment.