13th Floor Elevators
Info and Intro
Hailing from Austin, Texas.
The 13th Floor Elevators were quite possibly the first artists to be described as;-
They were put together by;-
- Guitarist and vocalist Roky Erickson
- Electric jug player Tommy Hall
- Guitarist Stacy Sutherland
Their career ranged from 1965 to 1969. During this time, they put out four vinyl albums and seven 45rpm 7" singles for the International Artists record label.
According to the 2005 documentary "You're Gonna Miss Me", Tommy Hall has been cited with coming up with the term "Psychedelic Rock", although artists such as the Holy Modal Rounders and the Deep had used the term "psychedelic" to describe their music earlier.
Their influence has been credited by a number of musicians including Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Peter Albin of Big Brother and the Holding Company, and Chris Gerniottis of Zakary Thaks.
The bands debut single; "You're Gonna Miss Me", was a national Billboard No. 55 hit in 1966, and it featured on the 1972 compilation Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968, which is considered vital in the history of garage rock and the development of Punk.
During the '80s and '90s, the 13th Floor Elevators were thought of as an influence on bands such as Primal Scream, The Shamen and Spacemen 3, who all did covers of their songs, there was also 14 Iced Bears who use an electric jug on their single "Beautiful Child".
In 2009 the International Artists released a ten CD box set entitled Sign of the 3-Eyed Men, which included the mono and new, alternate stereo mixes of the original albums together with two albums of previously unreleased material and a number of rare live recordings.
Members Name Check
- Roky Erickson
- Tommy Hall
- Stacy Sutherland
- John Ike Walton
- Benny Thurman
- Ronnie Leatherman
- Danny Thomas
- Danny Galindo
- Duke Davis
- Donny Speer
1) The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators (August 1966)
2) Easter Everywhere (November 1967)
3) Live (August 1968)
4) Bull of the Woods (1969)
- "You're Gonna Miss Me" / "Tried to Hide" (January/May 1966) – No. 55 Billboard, No. 50 Cash Box in October 1966
- "Reverberation (Doubt)" / "Fire Engine" (October 1966) – No. 129 on Billboard's Bubbling Under in November 1966
- "I've Got Levitation" / "Before You Accuse Me" (February 1967)
- "She Lives (In a Time of Her Own" / Baby Blue (Late 1967)
- "Slip Inside This House" / "Splash 1" (February 1968)
- "May the Circle Remain Unbroken" / *"I'm Gonna Love You Too" (Fall 1968)
- "Livin' On" / Scarlet and Gold" (Early 1969)
CD box sets
- The Psychedelic World of the 13th Floor Elevators (2002)
- The Complete Elevators IA Singles Collection
- Sign of the Three Eyed Men (2009)
Vinyl box sets
- Music of the Spheres (2011)
- The Very Best of the 13th Floor Elevators Going Up (2004)
- Best of the 13th Floor Elevators:Manicure Your Mind (1997, 1998)
- The 13th Floor Elevators: His Eye is on the Pyramid (1999)