They are composed of classically trained cellists;-
- Eicca Toppinen
- Paavo Lötjönen
- Perttu Kivilaakso
- all three of whom are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki *Mikko Sirén (Drummer)
First off, they were a Metallica tribute act, and as their career grew, it appeared to draw influence from a number of various genres of music, including Classical, Speed Metal, Grunge, Neo-Classical Metal Rock, Progressive Rock, Thrash Metal and Symphonic Black Metal, they also seem to incorporate some influences from Middle Eastern music, World Music and Folk.
1) Plays Metallica by Four Cellos (1996)
2) Inquisition Symphony (1998)
3) Cult (2000)
4) Reflections (2003)
5) Apocalyptica (2005)
6) Worlds Collide (2007)
7) 7th Symphony (2010)
8) Shadowmaker (2015)
Members Name Check
- Eicca Toppinen – lead cello, double bass, percussion, programming, vocals (1993–present)
- Paavo Lötjönen – rhythm cello, vocals (1993–present)
- Perttu Kivilaakso – lead cello, programming, vocals (1995, 1999–present)
- Mikko Sirén – drums, double bass, vocals (2005–present; live member: 2003-2005)
- Max Lilja – cello (1993–2002)
- Antero Manninen – cello (1993–1999, live member: 2002-2009)
- Franky Perez – vocals (2014–present)
- Adam Gontier (ex–Three Days Grace) on "I Don't Care" and tour vocalist for New York and Toronto 2008
- Brent Smith (of Shinedown) on "Not Strong Enough" (Album Version)
- Corey Taylor (of Slipknot, Stone Sour) on "I'm Not Jesus"
- Cristina Scabbia (of Lacuna Coil) on "S.O.S. (Anything but Love)" and tour vocalist for Download Festival 2008
- Doug Robb (of Hoobastank) on "Not Strong Enough" (US Single Version)
- Emmanuelle Monet (of Dolly) on "En Vie"
- Erik Canales (of Allison) on "Solo Tu"
- Franky Perez on the upcoming 8th studio album and tour vocalist (2014-)
- Gavin Rossdale (of Bush) on "End of Me"
- Joe Duplantier (of Gojira) on "Bring Them to Light"
- Johnny Andrews – tour vocalist (April 2008)
- Kyo (of Dir En Grey) – tour vocalist for US Tour 2010
- Lacey Mosley (formerly of Flyleaf) on "Broken Pieces"
- Lauri Ylönen (of The Rasmus) on "Life Burns!" & "Bittersweet"
- Linda Sundblad (of Lambretta) on "Faraway Vol. 2"
- Marta Jandová (of Die Happy) on "Wie Weit" & "How Far"
- Mats Levén (of Therion, Krux, Candlemass) on "S.O.S. (Anything but Love)" & "I Don't Care" (Backing Vocals)
- Matt Tuck (of Bullet For My Valentine) on "Repressed"
- Matthias Sayer (of Farmer Boys) on "Hope Vol. 2"
- Max Cavalera (of Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, ex–Nailbomb, ex–Sepultura) on "Repressed"
- Nina Hagen on "Seemann"
- Sandra Nasić (of Guano Apes) on "Path Vol. 2"
- Till Lindemann (of Rammstein) on "Helden"
- Tipe Johnson (ex–Leningrad Cowboys) – tour vocalist (2009-2012)
- Tony Kakko (of Sonata Arctica) – tour vocalist for Finland and Japan 2008
- Toryn Green (ex–Fuel) – tour vocalist (2008)
- Ville Valo (of HIM) on "Bittersweet"
- Tomoyasu Hotei, guitar on "Grace"
- Sami Kuoppamäki – drums on Reflections
- Dave Lombardo (of Slayer) drums on Reflections, "Betrayal/Forgiveness", "Last Hope" & "2010"
- Richard Z. Kruspe (of Rammstein) guitar on "Helden"
- MDR Symphony Orchestra on the album Wagner Reloaded-Live in Leipzig
Shadowmaker reviewed by RAMzine