The band was formed at the 1999 Reading Festival by Okereke and Lissack. They went through a variety of names before settling on Bloc Party in 2003. Moakes joined the band after answering an advert in NME magazine, while Tong was picked via an audition.
Bloc Party got their break by giving BBC Radio 1 DJ Steve Lamacq and Franz Ferdinand's lead singer, Alex Kapranos, a copy of their demo "She's Hearing Voices".
In February 2005, the band released their debut album Silent Alarm. It was critically acclaimed and was named Indie Album of the Year at the 2006 PLUG Awards and NME Album of the year which both honour Indie styles of music. That same year, the record was also certified platinum in Britain.
Bloc Party built on this success in 2007 with the release of their second studio album, A Weekend in the City, which reached a peak of number two in the UK Albums Chart and number twelve in the Billboard 200.
In August 2008, Bloc Party released their third studio record, Intimacy which entered the UK Albums Chart at number eight and number eighteen on the Billboard 200.
They went on a hiatus in October 2009 to focus on side projects, and reunited in September 2011, shortly thereafter Bloc Party released its fourth album, Four, which entered the UK Albums Chart at number three.
In 2013, Bloc Party released their third EP titled The Nextwave Sessions in August; the band then began an indefinite hiatus to continue with their respective side projects. Bloc Party have sold over 3 million albums worldwide.
In September 2014, Okereke stated that Bloc Party were working on a fifth album.
1) Silent Alarm (2005)
2) A Weekend in the City (2007)
3) Intimacy (2008)
4) Four (2012)
Members Name Check
- Kele Okereke – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, sampler (1999–present)
- Russell Lissack – lead guitar, sampler, synthesiser, programming (1999–present)
- Justin Harris – bass guitar, backing vocals, glockenspiel (2015–present)
- Louise Bartle – drums, percussion, backing vocals (2015–present)
- Gordon Moakes – bass guitar, backing vocals, occasional lead vocals, keyboards, synthesiser, drums, glockenspiel (2001–2015)
- Matt Tong – drums, percussion, backing vocals (2001–2013)