Intro and Info
Born on December the 30th, 1928, passed away on June the 2nd, 2008.
Originally known as Ellas Otha Bates, but changed as a child to Ellas McDaniel, better known around the world, by the name/legend Bo Diddley.
He was also a songwriter and music producer, usually under the name Ellas McDaniel, he also made cameo appearances in movies.
He was nicknamed The Originator because of his key role in the transition from the Blues to Rock n Roll, and Rock, and influenced a host of acts, including Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, The Who, The Animals, Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, Jimi Hendrix, Parliament Funkadelic, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and countless others.
He instigated a constant driving rhythm and biting electric guitar sound which he applied to a wide range of songs. His use of African rhythms and a signature beat, a simple five-accent clave rhythm, is also a cornerstone of Hip Hop, Rock, and Pop.
In recognition of his achievements Bo Diddley was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, as well as a Grammy Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. He is also recognised for his technical innovations, including his trademark rectangular guitar.
- Bo Diddley (1958)
- Go Bo Diddley (1959)
- Have Guitar Will Travel (1960)
- Bo Diddley in the Spotlight (1960)
- Bo Diddley Is a Gunslinger (1960)
- Bo Diddley Is a Lover (1961)
- Bo Diddley's a Twister (1962)
- Bo Diddley (1962)
- Bo Diddley & Company (1963)
- Surfin' with Bo Diddley (1963)
- Two Great Guitars (1964)
- Hey! Good Lookin' (1965)
- 500% More Man (1965)
- The Originator (1966)
- Super Blues (1967)
- The Super Super Blues Band (1968)
- The Black Gladiator (1970)
- Another Dimension (1971)
- Where It All Began (1972)
- The London Bo Diddley Sessions (1973)
- Big Bad Bo (1974)
- 20th Anniversary of Rock & Roll (1976)
- Ain't It Good To Be Free (1983)
- Breakin' Through the B.S. (1989)
- Living Legend (1989)
- This Should Not Be (1992)
- A Man Amongst Men (1996)
Linking here, music that we believe that Bo Diddley has had an effect on;-
We're sure there's others, in fact, we could just link everything, but these are the ones upon which he probably had the most direct effect.