A Rock band from Berkeley, California, formed in 1991.
They grabbed public attention after the release of their debut album, "August and Everything After" in 1993, which had the hit single "Mr. Jones".
They have sold more than 20 million albums worldwide and received a 2004 Academy Award nomination for their song "Accidentally in Love", which was included in the film Shrek 2.
1) August and Everything After (1993)
2) Recovering the Satellites (1996)
3) This Desert Life (1999)
4) Hard Candy (2002)
5) Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings (2008)
6) Underwater Sunshine (2012)
7) Somewhere Under Wonderland (2014)
Film and TV Appearances
Their songs have appeared in a number of films and TV shows;-
Clueless (1995): "The Ghost In You"
Rounders (1998): "Baby, I'm A Big Star Now"
Cruel Intentions (1999): "Colorblind"
VH1 Storytellers – Compilation Album (2000): "Rain King"
Mr. Deeds (2002): "Goin' Down to New York Town"
Two Weeks Notice (2002): "Big Yellow Taxi"
Da Zero a Dieci (2002): "Angels Of The Silences"
Shrek 2 (2004): "Accidentally in Love" (nominated for Best Original Song and performed live at the 77th Academy Awards)
Mommy (2014): "Colorblind"
Their tune "Hanginaround" was the soundtrack for the TV show Four Kings.
"Raining in Baltimore" is featured on the soundtrack of "The Last of the Watermen" episode of Homicide: Life on the Street.
Songs by Counting Crows were played during television drama series such as Cold Case (several songs by the band have been used, such as "Anna Begins" and "Recovering the Satellites") and the following: Boston Public (the band made a personal cameo as "the band in bar"), Brothers & Sisters, Dawson's Creek, The Days, Everwood, E.R., Laguna Beach, One Tree Hill, Party of Five, Roswell, Felicity (twice), and Scrubs.
Natalie Walker covered "Colorblind" as the tenth track on her 2006 album, Urban Angel.
"Colorblind" was also covered by Between the Buried and Me as the 14th track of their album, The Anatomy Of. In 2004, Victory Records released a tribute album to the Counting Crows entitled Dead and Dreaming. The records consists of various bands performing covers of the Counting Crows.
The Counting Crows song "Anna Begins" served as the title of a 2008 Young Adult novel, and appears late in the book.
The song "Angels of the Silences" appears in the 2009 game Band Hero.
Members Name Check
- Jim Bogios – drums, backing vocals (2002–present)
- David Bryson – guitar, backing vocals (1991–present)
- Adam Duritz – lead vocals, piano (1991–present)
- Charlie Gillingham – accordion, clarinet, keyboards, piano (1992–present)
- David Immerglück – guitar, pedal steel guitar, banjo, mandolin, vocals (1999–present) (session member 1993–1999)
- Millard Powers – bass guitar, piano, backing vocals (2005–present)
- Dan Vickrey – lead guitar, backing vocals, banjo (1994–present)
- Steve Bowman – drums (1991–1994)
- Matt Malley – bass guitar, vocals (1992–2005)
- Denny Fongheiser – drums (1993)
- Ben Mize – drums, vocals (1994–2002)