Dj Hardware EST
How It All Began
He used to frequent clubs in DC when he lived in Frederick. It was there that hi interest turned to Djing. At a previous show, he heard some sets by Mohawk Adam, and told his brother, "Anthony I can do this; I have a lot of music". He was playing pool at the Cadillac Club and Anthony introduced him to the owner of the club.
After speaking with him, the club owner gave Hardware the opportunity to DJ on a week night to see if he had what it takes. To say he was nervous, is an understatement. These nerves led him to forget his CDs. His brother raced home and retrieved them, and the story began.
After filling the room on a Wednesday night, Hardware was given Thursdays.
At this time, his Dj name was 'Controlled Access.'
That's when he met Todd Pierce and his DJ, DJ Fiendish. It was then Todd asked if he would be interested in doing the lighting for his club, 'The Cage.' As he was doing the lights one night, DJ Fiendish didn't show. Todd said, “Can you do this?” Hardware did happen to have music with him that night and started Djing. As he was mixing, Todd was impressed.
One evening Todd called and said the Cage was shut down by the ABC Board.
At this point, he went to work for Andy's 'Late Night.' He saw Todd there, they talked for a while. As he was walking to the Metro, he saw Todd again and he asked me to have a beer with him.
They talked late into the night and the end result was, they became roommates and Todd's resident DJ. At brunch a few days later, we created a new name for 'the cage,' and they event became 'BOUND.'
Since they lived over 'Polly's Cafe,' they went upstairs to chill and as Todd was on the internet, they started talking about a new 'Dj name', as 'controlled access' was too long. With back and forth conversation, they settled on the name, HARDWARE. At that time, HARDWARE was born!
A new club name and a new DJ name! They were on the rise and couldn't be stopped!
The rest is Industrial History.And so the beat goes on.
What he does
You can find his efforts shown on a number of CD’s throughout the US as well as three that he has produced under his own name. Below is a list of the releases so far
- Fail-Safe (the Perfect Mix) Synth-pop/EBM, Bands : Covenant / Assemblage 23 / Pride & Fall / Project Pitchfork
- Manipulating Puppy ( a compilation with remixes By HW est)
- When Angels Sing / Gothic, Bands : Dead Can Dance / This Mortal Coil / Love is Colder then Death
- When Angels Sing V.II (The Loneliest Sound) Gothic, Bands : Dead Can Dance / Sisters of Mercy / Die Juz / Cocteau Twins / Xymox
- Forms of Hardware 2012 / Powernoize, Bands : Winter Kalte / Greyhound / S.K.E.T. / Punch Inc. / Monolith
- German Maschines / Industrial (a compilation of German Electronic Bands), Bands : FeindFlug / (:SiTD:) / Wolfsheim / Melotron / Das Ich
- Hardware & the 12 Angry Machines / Powernoize -Experimental, Bands : Panzer Division / TerrorFakt / Ms. Gentur / Cold Harbor Unit / Download
- A History In Black.... / Ambient- Experimental, Bands : Disharmony / Prometheus Burning / Flint Glass / Totokeke / AD-VER-SARY
- Terrortracks V.I / Powernoize, Bands : Izoloscoape / W.A.S.T.E. / Synth-Etik / Manufactura / Sonar / Memmaker
- Terrortracks V.II @ the Ranch, Bands : T_ERROR 404 / Orphx / Syn-Tech / Stahschlag / Detune-X</div>
Below are a few of his more acclaimed dates of employment as a Dj:-
1995-Present - BOUND – Industrial Dance Party – Washington, DC
1998 - The METRO CAFÉ’ w/ C-TEC & Cubanate – Washington, DC
1998 - TRACADARO w/ Vesago & the Voluptuose Horror of Karen Black – Philadelphia, PA
1998 - LIMELIGHT – Industrial Dance Party – N.Y.C. New York
1998 - THE STAR BAR – post Marilyn Manson party – Stockholm, Sweden
1999-2000 - THE RITZ w/ Das Ich & CRUZ SHADOWS – Washington, DC
1999-2000 - THE CAGE w/ Faith and the Muse – Washington, DC
1999-2000 - Burning Man
1999-2001 - THE CAGE – Nocturnia – Gothic Dance Night – Washington, DC
2000-Present - SUMMER MASQUERADE BALL – Washington, DC
2000-2001 - NATIONS – Industrial Dance Night/Damnation – Washington, DC
2001 - SYNTHPOP GOES THE WORLD – Toronto, Canada
2007 - TEMPLE – Knoxville, TN
2008 - CONVERGANCE – Tampa, FL
2009 - BLASPHEMY – Scranton, PA
2009 - DRACULA’S BALL – Philadelphia, PA
2009-2010 - DUNKELHEIT – Washington, DC
2010 - EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY – Anaheim, CA
2010 - REVOLUTION – Washington, DC
2011-2012 - SPELLBOUND – Washington, DC
2012-present - CLUB RENOIZE – MOSCOW, RUSSIA
2013 - BOUND – Washington, DC (yep still going.)
2016 & 2017 Forms of Hands