Info and IntroAn American Rock band that was formed in Aberdeen, Washington, by singer and guitarist Kurt Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic during '87.
The band went through a succession of drummers, the longest surviving being Dave Grohl, who joined in 1990.
Nirvana may have only three full-length studio albums during their seven-year career, but they have become cited by many as one of the most influential and important rock bands of their time.
In the late '80s Nirvana established itself as part of the Seattle grunge scene, releasing its first album "Bleach" for the independent record label Sub Pop in '89. The band eventually came to develop a sound that relied on dynamic contrasts, often between quiet verses and loud, heavy choruses. After they signed with major record label DGC Records, Nirvana found unexpected success with the single "Smells Like Teen Spirit", the first single from the band's second album "Nevermind" (1991). Their sudden success widely popularised alternative Rock as a whole, and the band's frontman Cobain found himself referred to in the media as the "spokesman of a generation", with Nirvana being considered the "flagship band" of "Generation X". In response, Nirvana's third studio album, "In Utero" (1993), featured an abrasive, less-mainstream sound and challenged the group's audience. The album did not match the sales figures of "Nevermind" but was still a commercial success and highly critically acclaimed.
Nirvana's brief run ended following the tragic death of Kurt Cobain in 1994, but various posthumous releases have been issued since, overseen by Novoselic, Grohl, and Cobain's widow Courtney Love.
Since their debut, the band has sold over 25 million records in the United States alone, and over 75 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling bands of all time.
Nirvana were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014, which was its first year of eligibility.
Studio Albums List
1) Bleach (June 15, 1989)
2) Nevermind (September 24, 1991)
3) In Utero (September 21, 1993)
Members Name Check
- Kurt Cobain – lead vocals, guitar (1987–1994)
- Krist Novoselic – bass, accordion (1987–1994)
- Dave Grohl – drums, backing vocals (1990–1994)
- Aaron Burckhard – drums (1987–1988)
- Dale Crover – drums (1988)
- Dave Foster – drums (1988)
- Chad Channing – drums (1988–1990)
- Jason Everman – guitar (1989)
- Dan Peters – drums (1990)
- John Duncan – guitar (1992–1993)
- Pat Smear – guitar, backing vocals (1993–1994)
- Lori Goldston – cello (1993–1994)
- Melora Creager – cello (1994)
- Mark Pickerel – drums (1989)
- Dale Crover – drums (1991)
- Kirk Canning – cello (1991)
- Kera Schaley – cello (1993)