A Rock band, formed out of Seattle, Washington, in 1990.
They were also perceived as one of the biggest inspirations over the entire Grunge movement.
Throughout their life, the band's line-up has included Stone Gossard (guitar), Jeff Ament (bass), Mike McCready (guitar), and Eddie Vedder (vocals). The band's fifth and current (2013) drummer is Matt Cameron of Soundgarden, who has been with the band since 1998.
Formed after the demise of Gossard and Ament's previous band, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam broke into the mainstream with its debut album, Ten, in 1991, and became one of the key bands to influence the Grunge movement in the early 1990s.
Over the course of the band's career, its members became noted for their refusal to adhere to traditional music industry practices, including refusing to make music videos or give interviews and engaging in a much-publicized boycott of Ticketmaster. In 2006, Rolling Stone described the band as having "spent much of the past decade deliberately tearing apart their own fame."
To date, the band has sold more than 31.5 million records in the U.S, and an estimated 60 million worldwide. Pearl Jam has outlasted and outsold many of its contemporaries from the early '90s, and is considered one of the most influential bands of the decade.
1) Ten (1991)
2) Vs. (1993)
3) Vitalogy (1994)
4) No Code (1996)
5) Yield (1998)
6) Binaural (2000)
7) Riot Act (2002)
8) Pearl Jam (2006)
9) Backspacer (2009)
10) Lightning Bolt (2013)
Members Name Check
- Eddie Vedder – lead vocals, rhythm guitar (1990–present)
- Mike McCready – lead guitar, backing vocals (1990–present)
- Stone Gossard – rhythm/lead guitar, backing vocals (1990–present)
- Jeff Ament – bass, backing vocals (1990–present)
- Matt Cameron – drums, percussion, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Dave Krusen – drums, percussion (1990–1991)
- Matt Chamberlain – drums, percussion (1991)
- Dave Abbruzzese – drums, percussion (1991–1994)
- Jack Irons – drums, percussion (1994–1998)
- Boom Gaspar – piano, keyboard, organ (2002–present) (Session and Touring only)
In 2012, vocalist Eddie Vedder performed some solo shows, Here's what The Independent Voice thought