Sepultura, Portuguese for "grave", pronunced:- se.puw.ˈtu.ɾɐ, they originate from Belo Horizonte, Brazil and are one of the finest and most original Heavy Metal acts of their time.
Formed in 1984 by two brothers Max and Igor Cavalera, they became a huge driving force within the realms of Death Metal and Thrash Metal genres during the late 1980s and early 1990s, they can also be cited as an influence over Nu Metal, Groove Metal, and Hardcore.
The band has been through a number of lineup changes through their career, even the band's founders, lead singer/rhythm guitarist Max Cavalera and drummer Igor Cavalera departed in 1996 and 2006, respectively.
As of the time this page was written (Jan 2015), they have put out 13 studio albums, the most recent being "The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be the Heart" in 2013.
Their most successful records are Arise (1991), Chaos A.D. (1993), and Roots (1996).
The band has sold around 30 million records worldwide, they have attained multiple gold and platinum status in varying countries around the globe, including in countries, these being as diverse as France, Australia, Indonesia, United States, Cyprus, and their home land of Brazil.
Style & Influences
Their early influences were Heavy Metal acts like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Celtic Frost and Slayer, as well as Death Metal bands like Possessed and Death. Andreas Kisser affirmed that "without Slayer, Sepultura would never be possible".
Sepultura's music covers a wide range of Heavy Metal sub genres. They have been described as Thrash Metal and Death Metal, they have also been commonly categorized under Groove Metal, whereas their early music has sometimes been referred to as Black Metal.
In 1993, Robert Baird of Phoenix New Times wrote that the band played "machine-gun-tempo mayhem" and that the members "love to attack organized religion and repressive government".
Studio Album List
1) Morbid Visions (1986)
2) Schizophrenia (1987)
3) Beneath the Remains (1989)
4) Arise (1991)
5) Chaos A.D. (1993)
6) Roots (1996)
7) Against (1998)
8) Nation (2001)
9) Roorback (2003)
10) Dante XXI (2006)
11) A-Lex (2009)
12) Kairos (2011)
13) The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be the Heart (2013)
14) Machine Messiah (2016)
Members Name Check
- Paulo Xisto Pinto, Jr – bass (1985–present), backing vocals (1993–present)
- Andreas Kisser – guitar, backing vocals (1987–present)
- Derrick Green – lead vocals, percussion (1997–present); rhythm guitar (1997–2006)
- Eloy Casagrande – drums, percussion (2011–present)
- Igor Cavalera – drums, percussion (1984–2006)
- Max Cavalera – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, percussion, berimbau (1985–1997), lead guitar, backing vocals (1984–1985)
- Cássio – rhythm guitar (1984)
- Wagner Lamounier – lead vocals (1984–1985)
- Roberto Raffan – bass guitar (1984)
- Beto Pinga – drums (1984)
- Roberto UFO – rhythm guitar (1984)
- Julio Cesar Vieira Franco – lead guitar (1985)
- Jairo Guedes – lead guitar (1985–1987)
- Jean Dolabella – drums, percussion (2006–2011)
- Silvio Golfetti – lead guitar (1991)
- Guilherme Martin – drums (2005)
- Roy Mayorga – drums, percussion (2006)
- Amilcar Christófaro – drums (2011)
- Kevin Foley – drums (2013)