Info and Intro
A band that originated in 1963, from the south-west London suburbs . they had a string of hits around the mid '60s, which included;-
- "For Your Love"
- "Over Under Sideways Down"
- "Heart Full of Soul"
Their notable for having kicked off the careers of three of Rock's most reputable and legendary guitarists;-
All three of who are in the top five of Rolling Stone's 100 Top Guitarists list (Clapton at No. 2, Page at No. 3 and Beck at No. 5).
The bulk of the band's most successful original material came from;
- Paul Samwell-Smith (bassist/producer)
- Keith Relf (singer/harmonica player)
- Jim McCarty (drummer)
- Chris Dreja (rhythm guitarist and bassist)
These four constituted the core of the original group.
The Yardbirds reformed during the '90s, with McCarty, Dreja and new members.
They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992, and were included in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time", and VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".
They also had a hand in many electric guitar innovations of the mid '60s, for example - the use of feedback, "fuzztone" distortion and improved amplification.
1) Five Live Yardbirds (1964)
2) For Your Love (1965)
3) Having a Rave Up (1965)
4) Roger the Engineer (1966)
5) Little Games (1967)
6) Birdland (2003)
Members Name Check
- Jim McCarty – drums, backing vocals (1963–1968, 1982–1983, 1992–present)
- Anthony "Top" Topham – lead and rhythm guitars (1963, 2013–present)
- John Idan – lead vocals; bass (1992–2009); lead guitar (2015-present)
- Myke Scavone – lead vocals, harmonica and percussion (2015-present)
- Kenny Aaronson – bass (2015-present)
- Keith Relf – lead vocals, harmonica (1963–1968; died 1976)
- Chris Dreja – rhythm guitar, bass, percussion (1963–1968, 1982–1983, 1992–2013)
- Paul Samwell-Smith – bass, backing vocals (1963–1966, 1983)
- Eric Clapton – lead guitar (1963–1965)
- Jeff Beck – lead guitar (1965–1966)
- Jimmy Page – lead guitar, bass (1966–1968)
- John Knightsbridge – lead guitar, backing vocals (1982–1983)
- Mark Feltham – lead vocals, harmonica (1982–1983)
- Joe Allanson – bass (1982)
- Rod Demick – bass, harmonica, backing vocals (1992–1993)
- Ray Majors – lead guitar, backing vocals (1994–1995)
- Laurie Garman – harmonica (1994–1996)
- Denny Ball - Bass guitar during brief re-shuffle for Gypie Mayo time out. *John Idan moved to lead guitar (Summer 1998)
- Gypie Mayo – lead guitar, backing vocals (1995–2005; died 2013)
- Alan Glen – harmonica, percussion (1996–2003, 2008–2009)
- Billy Boy Miskimmin – harmonica, percussion (2003–2008)
- Jerry Donahue – lead guitar (2004–2005)
- Ben King – lead guitar (2005–2015)
- David Smale – bass, backing vocals (2009-2015)
- Andy Mitchell – lead vocals, harmonica, acoustic guitar (2009–2015)